When you go for a walk around Piazza San Marco at night, you can notice the faint light illuminating a second-floor window of the Doge’s Palace. Two candles have been lit here every night, to this day, since the year 1570, to remember the one judicial mistake the Venetian Government made in 1400 years. Why do we recall this incident after almost 450 years?
You are about to discover the forgotten story of our city, on an astonishing journey during this full-immersion virtual and interactive visit to La Serenissima. This is VENETIA, the capital of the longest-lived nation state so far (421-1797), a flourishing trading empire selling spices, exotic foods and luxury goods. Venice, the premier diplomat nation in Europe, building bridges and fostering innovation is a role model in our times.
Discover delicious historical recipes, Doge Loredan's Venice Manifesto, and the secret story of Marco Polo and his travels!
- Welcome from Iris and Lina
- Venetia or Venezia? The Venice Glossary
- The Roadmap to Venice
- Creative Break: Making coffee, Venetian style
- Marco Polo's Legacy
- Contemporary Venice: Venice after 1945 - Dream or Nightmare?
- Reader survey
- Greek Venice and La Festa di San Marco
- Venice celebrates a special birthday in 2021!
- The Invisible City: 20 facts you didn't know about Venice
- Torcello and the Seven Seas
- Marco Polo's Stone: A summer feast in Venice
- Venice and Ships. La Regata Storica
- Why did the Republic of Venice fail
- Venetian State Archive: Virtual Visit
- Venetia, the Global Business Hub
- Diplomacy, Venetian style
- Rialto and the Merchants of Venice
- Venessián, the language of Venice
- The Arts and Crafts of Venice
- Ice Age and Tropical Gardens
- Botanical heritage
- Does climate change impact the Lagoon?
- How does the Lagoon work?
- The Ammiana Archipelago
- The Venetian Rose
- The Scent of Giardino Eden
- Venetian culinary heritage
- Ancestral food of the Lagoon
- Spice alchemy and the spice masters of Venice
- Frittelles, sweet breads and torta greca
- Bistrot de Venise: Tasting historical cuisine and wine
- Historical Recipe: Venetian coffee (14th century)
- Historical recipe: Spice cake of the past (12th century)
- Dream of Venice in Black and White
- Books on Venetian heritage
- Lina's Personal Venice Guide
- Letters from the past: Doge Leonardo Loredan and his Venice
- Venice Travel Planner
- Monthly Venice Event Calendar