When you go for a walk around Piazza San Marco at night, you can notice the faint light illuminating a second-floor window of the Doge’s Palace. Two candles have been lit here every night, to this day, since the year 1570, to remember the one judicial mistake the Venetian Government made in 1400 years. And Venice did learn this lesson well.
You are about to discover the forgotten story of our city, on a mindshifting and astonishing journey, during this full-immersion, virtual visit to La Serenissima.
When you have finished this online class, you will relate to Venice as VENETIA, capital of a flourishing trading empire, exotic foods and luxury goods. Venice, the premier diplomat nation in Europe, building bridges and fostering innovation. And you will draw paths for yourself and hone qualities like openness and innovation so decisive in our times.
This is an online class for visitors and armchair travelers as it gives you the opportunity to learn about Venice from your home. It will come in useful no matter if you want to prepare a trip to Venice, or if you are looking for answers in our difficult times. It's the gifts that historical cities like Venice can give to us. clear pathfor your own future but also for planning your trip and see the other, forgotten traits of Venice, a city never mentioned in guide books.
- Welcome from Iris and Lina
- How to benefit most from this class
- Venice Workbook and Roadmap
- Getting started: Your Venetian coffee break + recipe
- Thoughtful Venice Survey
- In-Course Bulletin and monthly topics
- Venice and Greece: La Festa di San Marco and a walk around the oldest part of Venice
- Tra sogno e incubo. Dream or nightmare - Venice told by the Venetians
- Venice celebrates a special birthday in 2021!
- Best practice: How Venetians build a framework for the future
- The Invisible City: 20 facts you didn't know about Venice
- Real life: How we tackle tourism in Venice
- Real life: A summer feast in Venice and favorite TV series
- Real life: Animals in Venice and the Lagoon
- Personal portrait of La Serenissima
- Virtual visit to the Venetian State Archive
- The Republic of Venice: History and geography
- The Open City: Explaining diplomacy, Venetian style
- The true story of the Rialto Market and the Merchants of Venice
- Why did the Republic of Venice fail, and what happened afterwards
- If Venice Dies: Modern cities and Venice
- Venessián (Venet), the language of Venice
- "Life in the Seven Seas" model and unearthing the secrets of the Torcello archipelago
- How Venice tackled climate change in the 17th century & useful lessons for our times
- Botanical heritage, spice gardens and herbal sanctuaries in Venice
- The true story of Venetian culinary heritage
- Spice alchemy, aromatherapy and public health concepts developed in Venice
- How books tell Venetian heritage
- Venice Books / 2: Our Heritage Library
- Venice Heritage Video Library
- Where can I find the real Venice? Lina's Personal Venice Guide
- Plan your trip to Venice: Booking Help, Virtual Venice Tours, Travel Planner
- Monthly Venice Event Calendar
- Letter from the past: Doge Leonardo Loredan's guide to Venetia
- Historical recipe: Spice cake of the past (12th century)
- Historical Recipe: Venetian coffee (14th century)
- Wrapping up: How you can help Venice (no money involved)